At A Glance

The Barstow School is a co-educational school where students in preschool through twelfth grade develop in a challenging educational community. As originally stated by Mary Louise Barstow, the objective of the school remains “to promote sound scholarship and to give symmetrical development to mind, body and character.”

"Participants, not spectators."

This is how I sum up the difference a Barstow education can make in the life of a young person. We take kids off the bleachers and put them in the game, we take them out of the audience and put them on the stage, we take them out of the classroom and put them in the world.
 
How do we do this? We admit curious, passionate learners. We attract and retain faculty who are much more than teachers. They are experts in their fields and lifelong mentors. We fold it all into more than 130 years of experience and tradition.

If you are a curious, passionate learner, welcome to The Barstow School.

Shane A. Foster
President and Head of School

Barstow History

List of 5 items.

  • IN THE BEGINNING 1884-1924

    The Barstow School is the oldest independent, co-educational college preparatory school in Kansas City.  It was founded in 1884 by two Wellesley College graduates, Mary Barstow and Ada Brann, in response to the need for a local school comparable to the outstanding independent schools in the East.  As both Barstow and Kansas City grew and prospered, the school's location moved several times.  Throughout the years and despite the changes in location, Barstow's mission remains the same:  "to promote sound scholarship and to give symmetrical development to mind, body and character."

    • (1884) 1204 Broadway – First home of the “School for Girls” – Miss Ada Brann and Miss Mary Louise Barstow, Associate Principals
    • (1893) A location change within Quality Hill, and a name change to “Kansas City Home and Day School”
    • (1898) The first real move “south”: The school relocates to 15 Westport Road around 1900. The new home is a four-story building on a large acreage bound by Westport Road, Main Street and 40th Street, capable of housing 150 students.
    • (1923) After 39 successful years, Miss Barstow retired to Maine, and The Barstow School incorporated as a not-for-profit organization with governance through a Board of Trustees.
    • (1924) 4950 Cherry became Barstow's fourth home through a building project worth $170,000.
    In the 1909 catalog Miss Barstow announces:“The object of the school is to promote sound Scholarship and to give Symmetrical development to Mind, body and character.” (Standards High)
  • THE ROUGH SPOT 1925-1945

    Although the 1920s were prosperous for Barstow, the Depression affected the School’s enrollment and finances with a vengeance. 1934 was the School’s Golden Jubilee, although hardly jubilant. The Trustees carried the School through its toughest economic challenge. Through diligent fundraising and a certain amount of borrowing, the school raised approximately $200,000 to finance the move from Westport to the Laura Kirkwood Nelson lot at 50th and Cherry. Three buildings – a school building, a dormitory and a gym were constructed.
  • INNOVATION 1946-1961

    By 1947, enrollment reached 180, the mortgages were paid off, and faculty salaries were raised. In 1950, Richard Sears (the first male head of school) was hired and brought with him grand ideas about Barstow’s capabilities and its future place in Kansas City.
     
    Mr. Sears and the trustees debated several key issues to Barstow’s future. Expanded facilities at 5110 Cherry were considered, but the question of co-education had to be settled before expansion could be embraced. By April 1958, the Board decided that “long range planning should probably be aimed at securing a suitable campus for the achievement of whole school and co-education.”
  • THE CORNFIELD 1962-2000

    In a nutshell, Barstow needed to raise $2.1 million to move to the new school in the country cornfield – and once again, Barstow reinvented itself. In 1961, Barstow’s enrollment was 313 and only 3 of those students lived south of 103rd Street – today the overwhelming majority of more than 600 students live “out south”. Another milestone decision made at the same time was that of accepting boys in all grade levels.  The first co-ed graduating class was 1972.  The Trustees of the late 1950s correctly predicted the future growth of the city, and Barstow has been the beneficiary of such foresight.
  • INTO THE NEXT MILLENNIUM 2000-2017

    The first decade of Barstow’s second century was characterized by things new and technological. Little did anyone dream, when the building was shiny and new in 1962, that it would need complete rewiring in forty years. No one would have grasped the fact that students would walk from class to class holding laptop computers—and that those computers would be communicating with everyone on campus via wireless technology.

CAMPUS EXPANSION 2018

In the spring of 2018, Barstow announced an exciting new chapter in its history—a planned campus expansion that will give the school a permanent presence in Kansas.

Barstow entered into an agreement to purchase the former Hy-Vee grocery store at 12200 State Line Road in Leawood. The school will develop an innovative learning center to serve current and future students, and the surrounding community.

With support from the Leawood Chamber of Commerce and an adjacent homeower's association, the Leawood Planning Commission voted unanimously to approve Barstow's special use permit for the property in late September. The Leawood City Council is expected to vote on the expansion in mid-October.

“Congratulations to the Barstow School for coming up with a visionary plan for the repurposing of the site.
In my opinion, it will be a positive for both Barstow and the City of Leawood,” said Planning Commissioner Liz Hoyt.
 
The purchase will increase the size of Barstow’s campus, currently located at 11511 State Line Road in Kansas City, Missouri, by more than 50 percent. 

“The Leawood Chamber is pleased that The Barstow School, with its long history of delivering educational excellence, has chosen to expand operations to a site here in Leawood,” said Chamber President & CEO Kevin Jeffries ’74. "We look forward to many years of partnership.”

Our Goals & Vision

List of 2 items.

LEADERSHIP SINCE 1884

List of 4 items.

  • Founders 1884

    A. W. Armour
    T. B. Bullene
    J. V. C. Karnes
    William Rockhill Nelson
    A. R. Meyer
    Gardiner Lathrop
    The Reverend Henry Hopkins
    Colonel C. F. Morse
    General H. F. Devol
    Medill Smith
  • Heads of School

    Miss Ada Brann
    1884-1897
    Miss Mary Louise Barstow
    1884-1922
    Miss Rose Adelaide Witham
    1923-1927
    Mrs. Helen Burton Williams
    1927-1934
    Miss Mercer Kendig
    1934-1937
    Miss Winifred Turner
    1937-1950
    Mr. Richard Sears
    1950-1965
    Mr. Donald A. Gordon
    1965-1968
    Mr. Gordon Kent Lenci
    1968-1975
    Dr. James H. McK. Quinn
    1975-1979
    Mr. Michael S. B. Churchman
    1979-1985
    Mr. Deane R. Lanphear
    1985-1987
    Mr. Thomas M. Reefer
    1987-1989
    Mr. James E. Achterberg
    1989-1994
    Mr. Charles H. Sachs
    1994-2001
    Mr. Arthur N. Atkison
    2001-2008
    Mr. Shane A. Foster
    2008-
  • Original Board of Trustees

    Fred W. Fleming, President
    Marvin H. Gates, Secretary
    Otho C. Snider, Treasurer

    W. Wyan Goodwin
    Thomas J. Green
    J. E. Hutt
    Irwin R. Kirkwood
    H. M. C. Low
    A. B. H. McGee
    Samuel W. Sawyer
    Mrs. Frances Lathrop Schott
    Judge Kimbrough Stone
  • Signers of Articles of Incorporation, June, 1923

    Fred W. Fleming
    Heath Moore
    William H. Scarritt
    John H. Lathrop
    Rose Adelaide Witham
    H. M. C. Low
    Otho C. Snider
    Marvin H. Gates
    Samuel W. Sawyer
    J. E. Maxwell
    H. E. Minty
    J. E. Hutt

The Barstow School

11511 State Line Road • Kansas City, MO 64114
P (816) 942-3255 • F (816) 942-3227