2024-2025 School Counseling Position
2024-2025 School Year
The Barstow School is seeking a certified school counselor beginning in August, 2024. Founded in 1884, The Barstow School is an educational innovator serving more than 750 coeducational students in preschool-grade 12. Our student-to-counselor ratio at Barstow is 250 to 1, providing an excellent opportunity to get to know, engage and make a difference in the lives of all of our students. Additionally, we have additional extraordinary faculty who manage student scheduling and college counseling, so members of our school counseling department can stay focused on working to support students in their daily lives.
Masters degree in school counseling or equivalent;
School counseling credential in the state of Missouri
Preferred Additional Qualifications:
LPC, LCPC or other licensure
The four primary responsibilities are: 1) Individual student counseling, 2) classroom SEL lessons, 3) consulting and collaboration with faculty, staff and parents, and 4) supporting additional counseling department initiatives and programming.
More specifically, activities within these strands include:
- Providing individual and group counseling to students;
- Implementing SEL curriculum through classroom and grade level presentations;
- Supporting student academic achievement and accommodations;
- Providing support during a crisis;
- Working with community agencies;
- Partnering with parents, teachers, support staff and the community;
- Participating in the Inclusion, Diversity and Equity team;
- Delivering quarterly professional development to faculty and staff;
- Attend and engage with counseling department initiatives including, but not limited to parent book clubs, new student lunches, documentary screenings and Sources of Strength club meetings.
ABOUT THE BARSTOW SCHOOL
- Located in Kansas City, Missouri and founded in 1884, The Barstow School is a co-educational school where students in preschool through twelfth grade develop in a challenging educational community. As originally stated by Mary Louise Barstow, the objective of the school remains “to promote sound scholarship and to give symmetrical development to mind, body and character.”
- The Barstow School admits students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law in the administration of its educational and admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, or athletic and other school-administered programs. This policy of nondiscrimination governs the hiring of employees as well and includes the administration of all benefits and policies throughout the term of employment.