October 4, 2022
The Barstow School Advancement Department seeks an Alumni Coordinator whose duties include managing and overseeing the relationship between Barstow and its alumni. By creating, planning, and implementing programs and activities that engage alumni in strengthening and providing tangible benefits to alumni, the institution, and current students.
This position is a critical member of a high-functioning Advancement Department; responsibilities include organizing events such as reunions and fundraisers, liaising with vendors and suppliers, arranging meetings, and handling calls and correspondence.
- Serves as the primary contact for all Barstow alumni and as the school liaison for the Alumni Association Board; works with the leadership of the Alumni Board. Plans and executes Alumni Board meetings; encourages local alumni to attend Barstow events and activities.
- Initiates opportunities for alumni to build a strong community by creating networking and social events locally and across the country. These include but are not limited to Alumni Weekend, Alumni Luncheons, Alumni Holiday Party, Alumni College Open House, City Tours, and occasional individual class reunions.
- Actively engages with and builds relationships with senior class members to encourage participation as alumni after graduation.
- Manages content for the online alumni newsletter and other communications, including social media; gathers news and alumni notes for the school magazine and publications.
- Retrieves, assesses, and utilizes information from the alumni website portal, including class notes and survey data; manages the portal and external alumni pages to ensure that content is accurate, fresh, and timely.
Qualifications and skills:
- Ideally, an alumnus of The Barstow School.
- A fast learner, self-starter, detailed oriented and has good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Ability to build relationships and work successfully with many different alumni
- Strong social media skills and ability to create marketing materials on social media platforms
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends as warranted by special events, possible travel
- This position requires a bachelor's degree and three or more years of experience in alumni relations, and development, or other related non-profit experience
About The Barstow School
Located in Kansas City, Missouri and founded in 1884, The Barstow School is a co-educational school where students in preschool through twelfth grade develop in a challenging educational community. As originally stated by Mary Louise Barstow, the objective of the school remains “to promote sound scholarship and to give symmetrical development to mind, body and character.”
The Barstow School admits students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law in the administration of its educational and admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, or athletic and other school-administered programs.
This policy of nondiscrimination governs the hiring of employees as well and includes the administration of all benefits and policies throughout the term of employment.