The Barstow School is seeking energetic, motivated educators to teach online courses through Barstow Global Online. Online Teachers are part time, contract employees. BGO Teachers interact with small groups of self paced learners (20 or fewer) as they progress through online, asynchronous courses through Barstow Global Online. Teachers are provided a complete course and are not required to teach new material. They are, however, integral to student success and provide encouragement, clarification and support to learners.
- Grade all work submitted by students within 48 hours of submission
- Provide substantive feedback to help guide student learning
- Provide two live video office hours per week, per class to answer questions or review concepts from the class
- Create inclusive and motivating environment for students
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- Undergraduate degree in education, psychology, instructional design, human development or a related field.
- Experience with and enthusiasm for online teaching
- Comfort and confidence in supporting and evaluating students in project based learning
- Student centered mindset
- Ability to build relationships with online learners
- Experience giving student feedback that is empathetic and positive
- Experience with:
- Online learning management systems
- Formative and summative assessment evaluation
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Teaching certificate or current education major
- Experience using Schoology learning management system
- Algebra 1
- English 7
- Middle School American History
- $250/per student enrollment up to the maximum stipend amount
- Maximum stipends:
- Grade 6-12 1.0 credit course -- $2,000
- Grades 6-12 0.5 credit course -- $1,500
- Grades K-12 0.25 credit course -- $1,000
- Grades K-5 complete grade level -- $5,000
- Honors/Advanced Placement stipend -- additional $500
- Teachers are hired by section for a 13 month period.
- Section enrollment is capped at 20
- New students may join the course at any time
- If section enrollment exceeds 20 students over the 13 month contract term, course facilitators will be paid $250 per student up to a second section maximum of 20
- Part time teachers are capped at an annual maximum equivalent to 4 sections of 1.0 credit courses
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and a Barstow employment application to Kellye Crockett, Vice President, Innovation IDEA Space and Barstow Global Online, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE BARSTOW SCHOOL AND BARSTOW GLOBAL ONLINE
Located in Kansas City, Missouri and founded in 1884, The Barstow School is a co-educational school where students in preschool through twelfth grade develop in a challenging educational community. As originally stated by Mary Louise Barstow, the objective of the school remains “to promote sound scholarship and to give symmetrical development to mind, body and character.”
Barstow Global Online meets the growing demand for non-traditional education for students in preschool through grade 12. Fully online, asynchronous classes feature flexibility, freedom and focus on each student, through a blend of self-paced coursework and real-time teacher interaction. For more information: www.barstowglobalonline.org.
The Barstow School admits students of any race, color, national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs, and activities accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law in the administration of its educational and admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, or athletic and other school-administered programs. This policy of nondiscrimination governs the hiring of employees as well and includes the administration of all benefits and policies throughout the term of employment.