Annual Fund

2016–2017 Annual Fund Campaign

THANK YOU to everyone who made a gift to the 2015-2016 Annual Fund Campaign. We raised over one $1 million in pledges and gifts through June 30, 2016. Contributions for the current year can be made through June 30, 2017. We are grateful to parents, grandparents, alumni, parents of alumni, faculty and friends of the school who have contributed. Every gift, no matter the size, is important. Your participation is the key to our success. For more information about making a pledge or gift, contact Director of Advancement Pat Oppenheimer at (816) 277-0414 or

Why Does Your Gift to the Annual Fund Matter?

  • As in most independent schools, donations are important because tuition pays for 80 percent of the school’s operating costs. The Annual Fund and other income help cover the remaining 20 percent.
  • Your gift supports the people and programs that make The Barstow School so special. This means talented teachers, small classes, teaching tools, technology innovations and exceptional offerings in everything from arts to athletics.
  • In a small community like Barstow, every gift counts, including yours.
  • Your gift is tax-deductible. Tuition payments are not.
How Do I Give to the Annual Fund?
  • Online: Save paper and time by making a gift online. Click the button to the right for a donation form or go to
  • Mail: Send your donation or pledge information to Barstow’s Advancement Office.
  • Credit Card by Phone: Call the Advancement Office at 816-277-0422 to make a contribution by credit card.
  • In Person: Visit us in the Advancement Office at school to make your gift in person.
  • Stock Gifts: A gift of stock saves two ways. You avoid capital-gains tax on the increased value and you receive a deduction for the full market value of the stock at the time you make the gift. Please call the Advancement Office to let us know that a stock gift is being arranged.
  • Pledge: You may pledge a gift to the Annual Fund and make installment payments arranged with the Advancement Office to be paid in full by June 30, 2015.
  • Special Events: Your donation to fundraising events, such as the 5K, Auction or other activities, also count toward your Annual Fund giving. Only a portion of gifts to special events are tax-deductible due to the benefit received by the donor. However, gifts to Fund-Our-Mission projects are 100 percent tax-deductible.

How Do I Initiate a Matching Gift from My Company?

  • As an employee benefit, many corporations match their employees’ charitable contributions. Matching gifts might allow you to double or triple your gift to the school because the corporate matching gift is counted toward your total giving.
  • After confirming that your employer makes matching gifts, determine the procedures for securing the gift and inform the Barstow Advancement Office. Typically, you will obtain a matching gift form to send in with your contribution. The Advancement Office staff then submits the form to the company which sends the check back to the school.

The Family of Funds

Arts Fund
Inspires creativity by nurturing student talent in music, theatre and the visual arts.

Athletics Fund
Encourages self-discovery and personal growth through exercise, sportsmanship and competitive sports.

Buildings and Grounds Fund
Cares for our academic/athletic facilities and maintains and beautifies our campus grounds.

Curricular Fund
Enriches all elements of our integrated college preparatory curriculum: classroom, the library, online classes, global education, clubs and activities.

Faculty Development Fund
Empowers Barstow to attract and retain outstanding faculty and staff, and offers them the opportunity for continued learning and professional advancement.

Financial Aid Fund
Enables us to enroll a talented, motivated and diverse student population who contribute to Barstow's unique community.

Technology Fund
Boosts our capacity to integrate cutting edge technological resources throughout our campus and our Hybrid Learning program.

Unrestricted Gift to the Discretionary Fund
Provides support where most needed within the operating budget.

Giving Levels

Trustees Society $200,000 and more
Head of School Society $100,000 and more
Standards High Society $50,000 and more
1884 Founders Society $25,000 to $49,999
Second Century Society $10,000 to $24,999
Ada K. Brann Society $5,000 to $9,999
Richard H. Sears Society $2,500 to $4,999
Barstow Society $1,000 to $2,499
Knights Society $500 to $999
Green & White Society up to $499

Armillary Society - Donors who make annual and/or capital gifts for five consecutive years or more.


Contact Ryann Galloway Tacha, Alumni and Annual Fund Officer at (816) 277-0415 or for personal assistance or feel free to visit the Advancement Office when you are on campus.

The Barstow School

11511 State Line Road • Kansas City, MO 64114
P (816) 942-3255 • F (816) 942-3227